One of the largest White Goods (Home Appliance) manufacturers want to implement a digital foundation through their manufacturing plants to fulfill market demands faster, more flexible, with higher quality and reduce end to end cost.
Their plants are producing several products on same production lines, to enable ultimate flexibility for production line utilization. The production lines are high capacity volume production lines that also need to support relative small batches. The supply chain method is according to Just in Time, and Kanban levelling is been used to adapt to the high volume speed of the multiple parts needed for producing the many products.
The company have chosen to standardize on Apriso Manufacturing Execution System, that will be integrated with their SAP based IT landscape. They have decided to do the first pilot implementation in their largest plant in the USA.
The following business objectives are in scope:
• Improve manufacturing processes
• Provide real-time feedback of requirement changes
• Provide single source of truth information.
• Standardize and execute processes and reporting with a focus on Production, Materials, and Quality
• Interactive collaboration
• Enable lean activities by providing real time insight and additional data for (proactive) problem solving
Continuous delivery of insights for the millions of experts to make smarter, better and faster decisions
that can be controlled and managed during the full transformation lifecycle.
The project goals:
• Manufacturing Execution
• Detailed Scheduling and Sequencing
• Common Material Management Processes
• Quality Planning and Execution
• ERP and Machine Interfaces
• Process and Performance KPIs
All the parties involved have followed a typical, traditional approach of static documenting the development process, including User Requirement Specifications, Design Specifications, documentation of processes and work instructions, that were all written in ‘Microsoft Office’ type of documents.
There was no insight or common overview on machine level and architecture level, such as applications and infrastructure from an overall manufacturing IT perspective.
All of this causes misinterpretation, miscommunication and unawareness with a focus on the MES system as an application. After more than 2 years and spending millions of US$, using 3 System Integrators the MES system was still not able to go live.
Several months of factory driven tests have not convinced the business regarding the performance of the system and the user experience was unacceptable.
We recommended to use the unique Smart Industrial Transformation approach and Models4Insight holistic modelling platform to create and manage digital representations of the plant with regards to users, process, applications, infrastructure and data taking into account the real current situation and the expected situation.
The Smart Industrial Transformation Approach is based on using models for all user groups throughout the complete transformation process providing the right level of information to the right people at the right time.
The approach uses models to describe the different constituents ranging from strategic goals down to the shopfloor infrastructure and physical assets. This approach allows to connect the different dimensions of, Users, Processes, Applications, Physical assets, Infrastructures and Data.
By digitizing, modelling and integrated all those dimensions and connect it with the shopfloor data, it became possible to have insight on the real situation as it is happening, including the interoperability and the dependencies.
This give the ability to quickly:
• Identify performance issues of the MES and database involved
• Visualize the challenge between MES application and high volume production using Just-In-Time and Kanban and how to solve this
• Visualize the real processes as it happens on the shopfloor instead of assuming and misinterpretate
• Collaborate between different experts and users
• Visualize and have interactive stakeholder involvement providing right level of information at the right time.
• Improve user confidence
In the Smart Industrial Transformation Approach models are used in a specific way:
• Scenarios are modelled from different point of views like e.g. for a manufacturing process: the physical object view, the machine view, the operator view and the process engineer view. These four views together describe the actual process best.
• Scenarios are modelled in the most detailed way and semi-automatically derive higher level views, thus views with lesser detail. These different views with varying level of detail are required for different groups of people. A manager just wants to see the high level picture, while a process engineer wants to see all details. By deriving the higher level views we ensure that the different levels of details are consistent with each other.
Stakeholders are able to visualize the ‘As-Is’ and the ‘To-Be’ situation, and do scenario play and impact analysis to manage process and application migration.
Our assessment framework is uniquely tailored for Industry 4.0, Industrial Internet of Things, and Digital transformation. It is supported by a Smart Industrial Transformation approach, based on holistic modelling.
By using our unique Smart Industrial Transformation deployment framework we make sure that your deployment will be better, smarter and faster.
It is the only solution that is able to integrate and digitize the different dimensions of, Users, Suppliers and Customers, Processes, Applications, Physical assets, Infrastructures and Data, needed for best in class transformation deployments.
The basis is the ability to create digitized templates, which brings your templates alive and enables you to constantly control, manage the uncertainty and have maximal agility during your deployment journey.
The digitized transformation template is typically used to manage the deployment of:
Global (MES) applications;
IT-OT architecture in general as well as more specifically RAMI 4.0 (Reference Architecture Model Industrie 4.0);
Digitized System Architecture Transformation – Architecture and application deployment of OEM machines;
Our Smart Industrial Transformation based roadmap framework is a holistic modelled framework uniquely tailored for Industry 4.0, Industrial Internet of Things and Digital transformation.
It is the only solution that brings alive your roadmap by digitizing it. With this you are in constant control, able to manage the uncertainty and have maximal agility during the journey.
The roadmap framework is typically used to get insight and input:
• To align Users, Suppliers and Customers, Processes, Applications, Physical assets, Infrastructures and Data dimensions;
• To understand the impact and execution of your roadmap items;
• for insight on impacts of roadmap items;
• for your IT-OT (Information Technology – Operational Technology) Architecture;
• for roadmap agility;
By using our unique Smart Industrial Transformation architecture framework we make sure that your architecture will be at the life cycle management level to meet Industry 4.0. IIoT (Industrial Internet of Things) and Digital transformation requirements
It is the only solution that is able to integrate and digitize the different dimensions of, Users, Suppliers and Customers, Processes, Applications, Physical assets, Infrastructures and Data, needed for Industry 4.0 architecture. This brings your architecture alive, enabling you to constantly control, manage the uncertainty and have maximal agility during your transformation journey.
The architecture framework is typically used to design and manage:
IT-OT architecture in general, incl. impact analysis;
Specific RAMI 4.0 (Reference Architecture Model Industrie 4.0);
Digitized System Architecture Transformation – Architecture and application redesign of OEM machines;
Smart Manufacturing (data) architecture with advanced analytics capabilities;
We offer modelling services to be able to create digital formal models (digital twins) for Industry 4.0, II0T and Digital transformation. Those models are digital representations covering processes, applications, infrastructures, physical assets and contextualized data.
The modelling is based on de ArchiMate architecture language using our Models4Insight™, IP based Modelling & Insight solution platform, It enables you to design, create, enhance, manage, store and retrieve digitized integrated models giving a formal digital representation making you in control of your Industry 4.0, IIoT and Digital Transformation journey. It is offered as a free public version or private subscription based service.
Our mission is crisp and clear: Continuous delivery of insight for the millions of experts to make smarter, better and faster decisions that can be controlled and managed during the full lifecycle. Read more